Having one toxic person in your life can easily turn your life into a downward spiral. They are like a poison that seeps under your skin. Their negativity will eventually start to get to you and before you know if, you turn into a person who you no longer recognize. You need to take this seriously, as this is your life and you deserve only the best. I wrote a previous blog that will be a great resource in combination with this one. It will help you to deal with any toxic person who is weighing you down.
I have been there. I understand how difficult it is to remove a toxic person out of your life. They do not make it easy for you. They use manipulation and guilt to keep you from leaving or thinking clearly. Many times there are more than one of these negative people in your life. They are often the people closest to you and can be your parent, sibling, friend, mate, or co-worker. I was surrounded by them at one point of my life. I was not able to see clearly during that time and did not realize that this was my reality. A toxic person did not even phase me, since that was my normal way of life. I was not fully aware of the extensive damage it was causing. Closely proceeding my rock bottom, the entire forefront of my life was full of toxic people. It was a rude awakening and quite the reality check. Only once I started to eliminate each and every toxic person out of my life…did my life finally change for the better. I now have zero tolerance for a toxic person, as I understand the havoc they cause. It also fuels this passion within me to prevent others from experiencing the same pain and downfall.
CHARACTERISTICS OF A TOXIC PERSON:
- Only calls you when they want or need something. They rarely call to see how you are doing, unless they are bored and have nothing better to do.
- Will not give you space when you need it. A toxic person is afraid to give you space because you may have time to think and come to your senses.
- Are not happy when you are happy. They often seem jealous and make you feel bad when you share great news. You start to feel as though you are bragging and that you can no longer share the extraordinary moments in your life.
- Do not encourage or support you. In fact, a toxic person often sabotages your life.
- Make it extremely difficult to say no to them. They use manipulation and guilt to make you feel bad.
- You cannot count on them. They are not there when you need them, but you better always be there for them! They will only be there for you if it benefits them or they have absolutely no other plans.
- You feel drained after being with them or talking to them. A toxic person often takes advantage of you and also takes you for granted. They take an overwhelming amount of your energy, time and money without much reciprocation.
- Play games with your emotions and heart. They often lure you in with their charm, but then push you away with negative comments and put downs.
- Make you feel like you are always walking on eggshells. Nothing you do seems right or good enough. They get angry and have a short fuse with you…especially if you call them out on something they are doing wrong. They love to turn the blame around on you.
- They make you feel bad when you spend time with other people. They do not want you to listen to family or friends who are out for your best interest. They are demanding of your time and make you feel that you should only have time for them.
There are plenty of people out there that will love you unconditionally. They will encourage you, support you and uplift you. You need to distant yourself from the toxic people in your life in order to make room for these amazing people. No one wants to come to terms with the fact that someone close to you may be hurting you the most. I love you enough to help you recognize the truth, so you can start taking steps towards healthier choices, relationships and life.
Please feel free to comment or message me.